30 Apr 2020
Firing up the BBQ? Try this delicious lamb kofta recipe, great for skewers and kebabs. Makes 6-8 skewers.
Most ingredients are readily available online. We recommend marinating the lamb for a minimum of six hours, or overnight. Also, you can pre-cook the koftas in the oven at 150c for 10 minutes before barbecuing if you’re not confident about cooking fully on the grill.
Best served with raita and a shaved fennel salad dressed with lemon juice, olive oil & salt. You could also swap the lamb rump for duck breast, skin removed, for another great tasting option.
- 500g good quality lamb rump diced with the fat removed (any part of the leg is fine)
- 100g root ginger
- 100g red onion
- 25g garlic, chopped
- 4g chilli powder
- 4g garlic powder
- 4g garam masala
- 2g fenugreek powder
- 1g milled black pepper
- 10g rapeseed oil
- 10g lime juice
- 6g salt
- 30g fresh coriander
- Crush the red onion and root ginger then combine with the garlic and lamb in a bowl. Crushing the onion and ginger will release the juices which will tenderise the lamb during marinating
- Mix the spices with the oil and lime juice to create a paste then add to the lamb with the salt
- Marinate for a minimum of six hours, or overnight
- Grind the kofta mix with a mincer preferably or pulse in a blender and mix together
- Chop the coriander and combine with the kofta mix then mould onto metal skewers (or pre-soaked wooden) and refrigerate for a couple of hours to firm up
- Brush with a touch of oil and grill on the barbecue for 3-4 minutes each side